Minimum Laptop Requirements
- Processor: Intel Core i7 4500U (1.8-3.0GHz, 4MB cache, 4 cores)
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home, Pro or Enterprise 64-Bit
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Hard Drive: 1TB SATA hard drive (7200RPM) or 256GB Solid State hard drive
- Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1GB graphics or ATI Radeon HD 6870M 1GB
- Display: 15-17" Display with 1920x108o Resolution
- Optical Drive: DVD R/W Combo (preferred)
- Wireless Network: 802.11b/g/n
- Wireless Mouse: Three-button Optical Mouse with Scrolling Wheel
The Department utilizes both Windows-based PC's and intel-based Macintosh computers. Either is acceptable, however, AutoCAD, a primary application for the production of technical work in the profession, is not native to the Mac. Additional non-native software may be required throughout the core curriculum. For that reason, students who choose to use a Mac must purchase a Mac that is capable of running both Mac and Windows operating systems. By virtue of running two separate operating systems, it is recommended that all Macintosh Hard Drives are a minimum of 500GB. Students choosing to purchase a Mac will be responsible for installing both operating systems and ensuring that the required software runs on the machines they purchase.
Optional Accessories (In Order of Priority):
- A USB FLASH DRIVE (4G minimum) for transferring files.
- A 1TB portable EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE for backup of working files.
- An ink-jet PRINTER capable of printing up to 11"x17" for convenient production of base maps, progress prints and final deliverables.
- A DESKTOP MONITOR to increase the limited workspace of most laptops. The monitors should be utilized as "two display pages" to show two unique screens at the same time
- A FLATBED SCANNER for scanning a digital copy of sketches as part of the design workflow.